Separate fires gut homes

  • Monday, March 17, 2014

On the evening of March 10, three different fire departments fought a house fire on Railroad Avenue in Kingstree. The house, which was built in 1912 and unoccupied at the time, was totally consumed by the fire. Moments after, firefighters were called to another house fire that would also be completely consumed by flames. No one was hurt in either fire. Photo Courtesy of KPD


Two separate fires gutted private homes within hours of each other. Around 8:20 p.m. on Monday night, the Kingstree Fire Department (KFD) responded to a home located at the corner of Brooks Street and Railroad Avenue.  When firefighters arrived at the scene the home, which was unoccupied was engulfed in flames.  South Lynches and Williamsburg County Fire Departments assisted the Kingstree Fire Department. Firefighters had the fire fully under control by midnight. 
W.E. Jenkinson built the home in 1912. It is purported to be the first home in the county to have indoor plumbing. Ironically, the fireplaces were double-built because  Jenkin-son had experienced two house fires in his lifetime.
Since 2006, the home has remained virtually unoccupied. Because the house was unoccupied at the time of the fire, and firefighters were uncertain whether it had power, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) was contacted and is conducting an investigation.
As the scene was being cleared, South Lynches Fire Department responded to a second fire. When firefighters arrived a mobile home located at 2075 I.M. Graham Road was engulfed in flames. A pot left on the stove is being blamed for the fire.
 Fortunately no family members were home when the fire broke out. Williamsburg County Fire Department provided mutual aid.

The News

© 2016 The News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.