Monday, March 17, 2014
Two separate fires gutted private homes within hours of each other. Around 8:20 p.m. on Monday night, the Kingstree Fire Department (KFD) responded to a home located at the corner of Brooks Street and Railroad Avenue. When firefighters arrived at the scene the home, which was unoccupied was engulfed in flames. South Lynches and Williamsburg County Fire Departments assisted the Kingstree Fire Department. Firefighters had the fire fully under control by midnight.
W.E. Jenkinson built the home in 1912. It is purported to be the first home in the county to have indoor plumbing. Ironically, the fireplaces were double-built because Jenkin-son had experienced two house fires in his lifetime.
Since 2006, the home has remained virtually unoccupied. Because the house was unoccupied at the time of the fire, and firefighters were uncertain whether it had power, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) was contacted and is conducting an investigation.
As the scene was being cleared, South Lynches Fire Department responded to a second fire. When firefighters arrived a mobile home located at 2075 I.M. Graham Road was engulfed in flames. A pot left on the stove is being blamed for the fire.
Fortunately no family members were home when the fire broke out. Williamsburg County Fire Department provided mutual aid.
The News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The News.