Three escape home fire

  • Tuesday, January 7, 2014

  • Updated Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:36 pm

A January 5, fire in a mobile home located on Red Road has left three occupants hospitalized and homeless. Law enforcement are investigating the fire which may have started when an oil heater exploded. MICHAELE DUKE

Two people are in critical condition after a Sunday evening fire. Around 9 p.m. on January 5, Williamsburg County Fire Department responded to a mobile home fire located at 636 Red Road in Kingstree. When firefighters arrived, witnesses at the scene said three occupants that were in the house at the time of the fire drove themselves to an area hospital. At time of press, the names of the victims could not be verified.   According to Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton, two victims that rode together are in critical condition. Both were transported to a burn unit in Georgia. A third victim who drove himself to the hospital suffered minor burns.   Fire Chief Swinton said while the investigation continues, victim statements point to the possibility of an oil heater explosion. Swinton advises citizens take extra precaution during this time of year. "For example, don't leave an electric heater burning all night because they are not designed to run continuously for hours," said Swinton.   The County has responded to three home fires in the first week of the New Year. The American Red Cross has assisted fourteen people in Andrews and Kingstree who have been devastated by home fires in the first week as well. “We are in our peak season for home fires, and we are urging everyone to become aware of what they should do to prevent a fire in their home, said Nanci Conley, executive director, Coastal SC Chapter, American Red Cross Palmetto SC Region. Conley said with heating systems running at full force many people are resorting to other sources to keep their homes warm. To avoid fire danger, she advises the following:          Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.          If you are using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.          If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.          Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.          Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.   To prevent kitchen fires remember the following:   Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on. Enforce a “kid-free zone” in the cooking area and make children stay at least three feet away from the stove. Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stove, oven or any appliance in the kitchen that generates heat. Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup. Purchase a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen. Contact the local fire department to receive training on the proper use of extinguishers.

Comments

Notice about comments:

The News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


The News

© 2014 The News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.